The health care sector is one of the world’s largest employers and there is a rising demand for expert and innovative managers to lead health care organisations worldwide, in both the private and public sectors. The health care management field offers exciting new opportunities and challenges.
The Executive Master’s in Business Administration – Health Care Management (EMBA-HCM) programme is designed to develop the learners ability to explore the ancillary services of health care, to provide cost effective, good quality services to meet the increasing demand for healthcare services, and effective and efficient management of healthcare resources. Health care professionals have responsibilities to their patients, employers and those who contract their services and must aim to achieve optimal healthcare outcomes and experiences. Thus, the EMBA-HCM programme is a leadership focused degree in health care management, grounded in academic rigour and providing health care managers with appropriate training in health care management and leadership.
The EMBA-HCM programme explores contemporary organisation management, examining workplace diversity, communication methods and patterns commensurate with the technological era. This programme will contribute to the development of graduates who are conversant with the academic requirements of a post-graduate programme, and simultaneously be aware of how to effectively apply management theories to the business aspects of the health care management and work environment.
The programme is designed to:
• Enable learners to develop knowledge to be innovative in the face of diminishing resources worldwide for healthcare, through prudent financial management and strategic approaches to effective healthcare service design and delivery.
• Equip leaders, managers, business and health professionals with the required skills for the application of theoretical underpinnings and across the spectrum health care management, at a strategic level.
• Expose participants to the strategic requirements of leading health care organisations at a local, regional and international level.
• Provide participants with strategic decision-making capabilities necessary for leadership in the burgeoning healthcare market.
• Develop in learners the ability to form a nexus between management and healthcare services, to provide cost effective, good quality services.
•The EMBA-HCM programme is approximately two (2) years in duration.
The EMBA-HCM is a blended learning modality programme including physical face-to-face (synchronous conferencing) and asynchronous forum discussion segments. Participants are required to successfully complete two (2) compulsory workshops, twelve (12) taught core courses and an applied research project.
•Geo-politics and Strategic Innovations (Workshop)
•Business Research (Workshop)
•Leadership in Contemporary Organisations
•Accounting for Decision Making
•Computing for Health Enterprise Management
•Primary Health Care
•Health Care Systems
•Managing Clinical Professionals in Healthcare
•Health Care Quality and Performance Management
•Effective Strategy Execution
•Comprehensive Final Project
Admission Requirments/Entry Requirements
Interested candidates must have:
1. Bachelor’s degree in management with Lower Second Class Honours OR Master’s degree in management.
2. Bachelor of Medicine-Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), Master of Medicine (MMed)
OR Doctor of Medicine (MD); OR Bachelor of Science in Nursing OR Master of Science in Nursing
Five (5) years management experienced applicant MUST have one of the qualifications at 2 above.