About the Programme
The health care sector is one of the world’s largest employers and there is a rising demand for expert and innovative managers to lead health care organisations worldwide, in both the private and public sectors. The health care management field offers exciting new opportunities and challenges.
The Executive Master’s in Business Administration – Health Care Management (EMBA-HCM) programme is designed to develop the learners ability to explore the ancillary services of health care, to provide cost effective, good quality services to meet the increasing demand for healthcare services, and effective and efficient management of healthcare resources. Health care professionals have responsibilities to their patients, employers and those who contract their services and must aim to achieve optimal healthcare outcomes and experiences. Thus, the EMBA-HCM programme is a leadership focused degree in health care management, grounded in academic rigour and providing health care managers with appropriate training in health care management and leadership.
The EMBA-HCM programme explores contemporary organisation management, examining workplace diversity, communication methods and patterns commensurate with the technological era. This programme will contribute to the development of graduates who are conversant with the academic requirements of a post-graduate programme, and simultaneously be aware of how to effectively apply management theories to the business aspects of the health care management and work environment.
The programme is designed to:
• Enable learners to develop knowledge to be innovative in the face of diminishing resources worldwide for healthcare, through prudent financial management and strategic approaches to effective healthcare service design and delivery.
• Equip leaders, managers, business and health professionals with the required skills for the application of theoretical underpinnings and across the spectrum health care management, at a strategic level.
• Expose participants to the strategic requirements of leading health care organisations at a local, regional and international level.
• Provide participants with strategic decision-making capabilities necessary for leadership in the burgeoning healthcare market.
• Develop in learners the ability to form a nexus between management and healthcare services, to provide cost effective, good quality services.
•The EMBA-HCM programme is approximately two (2) years in duration.
Programme Delivery Modality
- Fully online
The EMBA-HCM is a blended learning modality programme including physical face-to-face (synchronous conferencing) and asynchronous forum discussion segments. Participants are required to successfully complete two (2) compulsory workshops, twelve (12) taught core courses and an applied research project.
•Geo-politics and Strategic Innovations (Workshop)
•Business Research (Workshop)
•Leadership in Contemporary Organisations
•Accounting for Decision Making
•Computing for Health Enterprise Management
•Primary Health Care
•Health Care Systems
•Managing Clinical Professionals in Healthcare
•Health Care Quality and Performance Management
•Effective Strategy Execution
•Comprehensive Final Project
Interested candidates must have:
Holders of :
A. Bachelor’s degree in management with Lower Second Class Honors/Master’s degree in management
B. Bachelor of Medicine-Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), Master of Medicine (MMed) or Doctor of Medicine (MD); or Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Master of Science in Nursing
C. Five (5) years management experienced
Consideration will be given to applicants holding qualifications at 1.
i.Holders of the EDM with a GPA of 2.5 and above
ii.Holders of the Open Campus’ Diploma in Management with a GPA of 2.5 and above
iii.Holders of Diploma in Management from BIMAP with GPA of 3 and above
iv.Five years’ management experience at middle to senior level.
All applicants may be subject to interview by SCHSBM and the Public Health Group at Cave Hill.
*Application fee of BDS$30.00 or USD$15.00 (to be paid to the Campus Bursary)
Complete the online application process via the Graduate Admissions page on the University’s website: https://www.cavehill.uwi.edu/gradstudies/apply-now/apply-now-home.aspx
Submit the following certified documents to Student Affairs – Admission: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application Processing Fee (BDS $30 for applicants from contributing countries OR US $30 for applicants from a non-contributing countries)
- Birth Certificate (certified or notarized copy)
- Curriculum Vitae (2 copies)
- Two (2) Referee reports (PDF)
- Professional Certificates/Diplomas
- Marriage Certificate (where applicable) (certified or notarised copy)
- Legal Affidavit or deed poll if your present name is different from that on the Birth Certificate (certified or notarised copy)
Required from ALL non-UWI graduates:
Tertiary Level Transcript- sent directly from the granting University to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Office of Graduate Studies and Research.
Note that a student copy of your transcript will not be accepted.
Original documents are to be certified by a Notary Public or a University of the West Indies authorised official.
Official transcripts should be sent directly to Students Affairs – Admissions, The University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus from the issuing university.
$15,000.00 USD or $30,000.00 BDS
Payable to The Cave Hill School of Business as:
1. a one-time payment at the beginning of the programme
2. in installments according to the payment schedule
3. a customised payment plan